Sunday, October 2, 2011

Istanbul, Turkey 9-30-11 day 2













Well today didn't start off as planned. I felt achy and sniffly after getting rained on and catching a chill. I took 2 tylenol and went back to bed for about an hour or so then took a hot shower. Feeling somewhat better I was happy there were only a few more things to do on my list. Sure you can go on and on and do a lot of things here it just depends on what type of travel experience you want. I have learned that if I try to see too many things in one day I am miserable and its a big blur and I don't really enjoy it so I tend to go at a slower pace. Also,this city is very hilly and I hate hills and stairs especially uphill. I am slowly getting my energy level back but its not there yet and if I push myself there is hell to pay the next day. We had our complimentary breakfast at the hotel and then we were off. They even had belgian waffles but no syrup so I ruffed it and used nutella instead YUM)

Egyptian Spice Bazaar- Much like the Grand Bazaar but smaller and slightly better prices. I love shopping, people watching and taking in the atmosphere of another culture so this was a great place for me. The weather looked like rain but it did not rain as yet so I was a happy girl. Don't forget to try to haggle with the vendors. I tried to haggle for the black belly dancing outfit, it was around 80 usd. I had to pass and he didn't counter my offer. Vendors will follow you out into the street and haggle with you or offer you tea/chai so you will stay but this fellow was firm in his price so move on there are a lot of vendors to choose from.

Galata Bridge and Tower- The bridge has 2 levels the top is for cars and the bottom is filled with restaurants and shops. It's a great place to relax after a long day and try to go there around sunset its spectacular then. Everything starts to get busier the later it gets and some places might look abandoned during the day only to become bustling in the evening.

Bosphorus river cruise-Istanbul is city on two continents. There isn't wall to separate both continents but Bosphorus. if you like to look at both continents or both parts of the Istanbul from point of Bosphorus.
Take the public ferry its cheaper and just as good. The tourist one costs about 27 USD and the public one is around 8 usd and lasts approx 90 min.

Had dinner at one of the restaurants on the Galata bridge. We had grilled chicken with rice, a veg and a salad for less than 10 usd pp. It was another great day in Turkey. Headed back to the hotel to pack as tomorrow was a long travel day.





No comments:

Post a Comment