Saturday, July 2, 2011

Home sweet home? 7-2-11

Well Toto we are not in Kansas anymore, or at least this is what I keep telling myself. I even tried clicking my heels together 3 times but I wasn't wearing the ruby slippers so it didn't work. Since its way to soon to give up without trying I decided to make the best of it and get used to living here. The family I am living with is very accommodating, if I need anything one of the kids will run to the corner store and get it for me. The young college student I am referring to is called Alla, he is a very sweet 21 year old. His uncle lets him stay here when he has classes at the local university. Anyway on this fine hot July day I asked Alla to go to the store and get some diet pepsi and an air conditioner for my room because humidity or not 100 degrees without air is still mighty hot. The weather here is typical desert but coming from florida I am not familiar with it so let me tell you. Hotter than you can believe during the day, no rain for months, 5% humidity and at night it cools off to around 75 degrees. Too hot for me, I am used to being in a/c. So, the family agreed to purchase an a/c unit for my room and I agreed to leave the door open most of the time to cool the living room, so everyone could benefit from it.

Shopping for an a/c unit-here everything takes alot of time so be prepared and wear your walking shoes. When you make a purchase most places do not have their merchandise tagged with the price. You ask, they tell you and then you haggle. I being American can be spotted a mile away which sadly makes the price double so I followed behind while they spoke with various appliance salesman. It took several stores before they found the one they liked with the price they could agree upon, it was an all day affair. I thought great, I will have a/c tonight, not so fast. It takes 2 days or so for them to deliver and install it and an electrician should probably come before hand to make sure there is power in the right places. Sounds like a perfect time to go back to Amman to do some more exploring.

Hey I will post a pic of the a/c unit, its not your typical window shaker. This one is 1.5 ton European style and costs about 430 dinar (almost 600 USD) and will cool the entire womens side of the house. They don't have central heat and air. I think its also a heating unit which might come in handy if it ever gets cold here.

No comments:

Post a Comment