Friday, June 24, 2011

6-24-11 2am arrival in Amman, Jordan

I am not sure what day it is, just know that I am finally here.  It's 2am Amman time but 7pm Florida time,and its 6-24, I left on 6-22 so pardon the confusion.

About Jordan..even though it is the middle east ME it is actually in the continent of Asia, on the west side. In 1923 it became its own sovereign country, emancipated from Britain. It is ruled by a king/queen and elected parliment and prime minister.Currency 1.40 USD = 1JD, time EST + 7hours.

I was one of the first ppl off the plane and down the long winding hallway to customs/security. There were only 2 ppl ahead of me, this was going to be easy peasy japaneasy right? Well almost... I overheard the customs agent speaking to the person ahead of me- its 26 JD (Jordanian dinars for the visa), she said I just got off the plane and its 2am, I have euros. The visa/customs agent then told her she could exchange her money down the hall at the currency kiosk and then return to the end of the line, which was now growing longer steadily. Panicking that I would be next and in the same situation I remembered a travel tip for a free visa if you told them you were going to Aqaba within 48 hours (remember this as it causes me great trouble in about 3 weeks). Next was called, hey thats me and I stepped up to try my luck. 26 JD please said the visa agent, I'd like a free visa because I am going to Aqaba tomorrow I replied and held my breathe. He looked up then reached over for a different stamp punched it on my passport and told me to move along to the next check point.  Next stop was the luggage carousel, and there I met my online friend Rayan, I had warned him I was bringing alot of luggage so he brought 2 other friends to assist us. Everyone grabbed a bag and we were on our merry way when we were then routed to customs. We had to place all the baggage on a belt to be xrayed and then over to an agent to tell him what I had to declare. Another travel tip: Different countries have very different rules, this one taxes you on some items you bring in eg: electronics- I had brought several new electronic items in the package to give as gifts. Its better to take them out of the package and say they are all yours for personal use or else you have to pay taxes on it STUPID. This is how I know I am not totally recovered from being sick. I love to travel, this is my 9th country over 5 continents to visit, yet instead of rejoicing I was highly perturbed and kinda over the whole thing for the moment. I had envisioned and half expected to be picked up from the airport on a camel and was happy to find a mitsubishi lancer and hyundai elantra waiting for me. 1 car for the luggage and one for me and Rayan plus the drivers of course, his 2 friends. Next blog, getting acclimated to my new surroundings.
Sad to learn that the hard rock cafe here is no longer in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment