Friday, July 8, 2011

7-8-11 Arch Nemesis, the washing machine

Well I know this is a travel blog but everyone still needs to do laundry right. Before coming here I asked for the basic facts, do you have a sit down toilet? Yes, ok do you have a washing machine, yes of course! Little did I know I needed to ask is it connected to water and does it shock you when you touch it? I waited until I was down to my last clean pair of undies before asking to do laundry. My new friends said they would do it for me but I insisted I can do it myself, how hard could it be? Well the washer that many people have in their houses looks nothing like the washer I am used to. First, you need to fill it up with water. Easy if its connected to a water supply, but ours wasn't so you have to fill it with about 5 buckets of water, by hand. Then, does it extract the water and rinse them? Well kind of-you have to take out the soaking wet clothes, rinse them by hand to remove the soap then put them in the other side to spin dry them before hanging them out on the line to dry. All this for a load of clean laundry?? But wait the best part is is you stick your hand in the water and touch any metal at the same time it gives you a nice tingling sensation all the way up your arm. So, you have to unplug it from the socket prior to touching it. Oh yes and then the water must be removed and refilled before you do another load. This was the easiest part as there was a nearby drain and the hose could easily be placed near it, but keep in mind your now standing in water while trying not to touch any metal on the machine. After my first and last load of laundry my friends helped me out and did it for me. I vowed to buy a new one but unfortunately they are very expensive and still not the kind I wanted. I will post a pic of it the next time I have to do laundry and yes my friends here still help me with it because its better than listening to me complain about it for the next 3 days lol. Be thankful for the small things in life that make it bearable. I'm thankful for my new friends and extended family, they helped me to adjust to my new surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment