Wednesday, June 22, 2011

6-22-11 leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again....

Well, today starts the first day of the rest of my life.
Let me give you a little back story before moving forward...

    I was a hardworking nurse with 2 jobs. Also going thru a rough separation/divorce-so I thought it was easier to work all the time then to try to deal with the pain and anger of everything.
Well let me tell you that it didn't work out to well for me, by doing this I severely ran down my immune system and got sick with Epstein Barr syndrome (EBS) 3-11. EBS is the same virus as mono, chicken pox, shingles and herpes simplex 1, there is a blood test used to diagnose it. Symptoms were body aches, fatigue, headaches, confusion like you are getting the flu and then got ran over by a truck.
If you have ever had any one of these the virus stays dormant in your system and then reappears when your immune system is weakened, in my case stress weakened it. So, I was home sick from work, in bed 20 hours a day then laying on the couch the other part of the day. To tired to shower most days, depending on friends and family to bring me food, or ordering chinese or pizza since they were the only ones that delivered. There is known treatment for it, yes you cant treat the symptoms but not the virus. Doctors recommended vitamins, stay hydrated and lots of rest. I even had several IV's of a vitamin and hydration mixture to try to feel better,  of course vitamin infusions are not covered by insurance, the were about 150 ea x 3. I was out on FMLA until it ran out in June (which means I lost my job) and really wasn't feeling 100% better. I decided I needed a drastic change in my life so I (against all the advice of friends, family and financial advisers) cashed out my 401k and decided to pursue my life long dream of being a freelance travel writer and going around the world.
I have many international friends online and choose Amman, Jordan for my first destination. Now were up to date and the saga of my adventures will be moving forward. I also hope to continue my quest to visit as many hard rock cafes as possible. I used to collect the tshirts and will now collect the pins as well.www.hardrock.com

I found a great price for a one way business class ticket from Michelle at www.iflybusiness.com, that was a life saver as it was a 29 hour flight and I still wasn't feeling that energetic. The only bad part of it is they don't give you the miles, they keep them and buy the next persons ticket with them, but it was still totally worth it. The first class lounge not only has free wifi, food, drinks/alcohol, tv's computers in their business center. I enjoyed the luggage lockers to stow your stuff while you wandered the airport, shower facilities and sleeping rooms so you can rest.I don't drink because it gives me a headache and makes me tired even if I just have 1, but for those of you with a healthy appetite for drinks you wont be disappointed. As soon as I sat down on the plane they brought me a mimosa, that was my 1 drink I tried, couldn't waste it right??!! The seats on a plane normally just recline a few inches, these seats went all the way back and they gave you a pillow, blanket, sleep mask and sox, as well as a tooth brush. The food was also so much better, they gave you a menu to choose from and they had several entrees, meat or chicken or fish or veggie.The reason the flight was so long is because there was a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany. see the next post....
Oh yeah, when you fly business/first class the luggage allowance is better too. I had a carry on suitcase, a small backpack and a laptop plus 3 huge 70 pound suitcases. I did have to pay 200 for the 3rd suitcase but I brought basically all my clothes, shoes, purses, make up and vitamins.




No comments:

Post a Comment